August 23, 2012 is a black day in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) history. For the first time ever, after the mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion was forced to,a pay-per-view (PPV) event was canceled. It was just because of Jon Jones‘s refusal to his Light Heavyweight title. That match was against Chael Sonnen at UFC 151. The fight was canceled just before 10 days of the match. His original opponent was Dan Henderson, had a injury that time. That created lots of criticism to Jones.
After four years, again, Jones found himself an opponent, after current division champion Daniel Cormier was bounced from UFC 197. But this time he agress to fight against Ovince Saint Preux. The UFC 197 event is scheduled to take place on 23 April. Recently, Jones revealed on The MMA Hour (via MMA Fighting) that he did it to make up for the whole UFC 151 debacle.He also says that Preux was not the first guy to accept the fight.
“Originally, the UFC called me and asked about Anthony Johnson. They said that he had already accepted the fight, and they asked me if I was going to accept the fight. I told them I needed a meeting with my coaches. I had a meeting with my coaches, and the next morning I called the UFC said let’s do this thing. They said that Anthony’s camp changed their mind, I guess, since he had some dental work he needed to do. That made no sense to me whatsoever, for him to be ready at one point and then the next minute it was dental work. So I just told Lorenzo (Fertitta), whoever you need me to fight, I want to make things right for UFC 151. I want to do something for my fans, something positive. I know people who have been saving up months to make it out to Vegas for this fight. I know guys who, this is their anniversary gift or birthday gift from people, and I was like, you know what, I’ve put my fans through so much already. I need to get out there and just put it on the line. So I said I’ll fight anybody. They came up with Ovince.” The fight tickets are going to be sold out soon.